• July 15, 2012 10:49PM

TEENAGER Thomas Kelly suffered severe brain damage when his head hit the pavement after he was fatally king hit in Sydney's Kings Cross, a trauma specialist says.

The 18-year-old trainee accountant was talking on his mobile phone at the time of the unprovoked attack on July 7 and collapsed to the ground, hitting his head.

His life support was switched off two days later.

The trauma director at St Vincent's Hospital, Anthony Grabs, said his heavy fall to the ground did most of the damage to Mr Kelly's brain.

"A punch was enough to knock him out, which then resulted in the fall," Dr Grabs told 60 Minutes after examining Mr Kelly's X-ray.

"That is the killer punch."

Mr Kelly's father, Ralph Kelly, said a punch can be as lethal as a gun.

"If you're going to punch someone, it's like shooting someone," he said.

Asked if he hated the person who caused his son's death, he said: "Yes, and I hope that justice comes to them soon."

Mr Kelly's girlfriend, who was walking hand-in-hand with him at the time of the attack, said she had sent him a text message earlier that day saying she was scared about going out in the notorious nightspot.

"Tom was like, 'I promise that we're going to have a really good time together'," the girlfriend, who did not wanted to be identified on the program, said.

She described the attacker as ruthless.

Police say they're closing in on the person responsible for the attack.

Update News : 

Thomas Kelly king-hit killer caught on camera near Kings Cross crime

POLICE have arrested an 18-year-old man over the death of Thomas Kelly in Sydney's Kings Cross.

Homicide squad detectives arrested Kieran Loveridge, from Glendenning, near Mt Druitt in Sydney's west, at a Belmore sports field about 7.30pm.

The 18-year-old was interviewed at Campsie police station by strike force Mohawk detectives.

Just before midnight he was charged with one count of murder.

Mr Loveridge was also charged with three counts of assault relating to separate alleged attacks the same night.

Police allege Mr Loveridge, who turned 18 on March 9, king-hit Mr Kelly about 10pm on July 7 as he walked with his girlfriend on Victoria St, in Kings Cross.

A police source said Mr Loveridge was also in the Cross for a big night out. Mr Kelly, of Bowral suffered critical head injuries in the attack.

Two days later, in St Vincent's Hospital, his parents Ralph and Kathy made the heart-breaking decision to turn off his life support.

Police will allege that Mr Kelly was Mr Loveridge's first victim, followed by an attack a few minutes later on another man.

Two more people were then allegedly assaulted on Roslyn St.

Mr Loveridge had been at Belmore Oval watching a friend play football, although reports emerged last night that he had been watching a training session of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

He was handcuffed and taken from the ground.

Sources said that while Mr Loveridge spoke with police as he was being driven to the station, he declined to be interviewed.

Mr Kelly finished high school at The King's School last year and had an accounting cadetship while also studying commerce at Macquarie University at night.

Mr Kelly's shocking death has also led to an urgent review of safety along the notorious Golden Mile.
Gambling Minister George Souris ordered a four-day compliance blitz of 58 late-trading pubs and clubs.

The operation, which started on Tuesday, aims to assess the effectiveness of security, surveillance and incident reporting.

Mr Loveridge will face Burwood Local Court today.