Family claims hair dye killed mother

STAFF REPORTER, The West Australian November 26, 2012, 9:03 am

An English woman who lapsed into a coma after dyeing her hair at home has died.

According to a report in London's Daily Mail, Julie McCabe collapsed 13 months ago after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Mrs McCabe, 38, had been on life support since the October 2011 tragedy. She also suffered heart failure and brain damage and was given an eight per cent chance of surviving, the Daily Mail reports.

Her family blamed the extreme reaction on the chemical paraphenylenediamine in the product, L'Oreal Preference.

The real estate agent died on Thursday.

There has been no evidence the hair colour is to blame for the death, but the L'Oreal has reportedly offered to help doctors carry out tests on hair dye kit and the gloves used by Mrs McCabe.

Mrs McCabe's husband Russell, 45, and children Luke, 21, and Abigail, 16, had kept a bedside vigil at Airedale Hospital in Keighley, West Yorkshire, where she was given round-the-clock care.

The Daily Mail reports that Mrs McCabe dyed her hair six-weekly but had never previously suffered a reaction.

On the day of the tragedy she had been rinsing the dye out of her hair after the recommended 20 minutes when she began struggling for breath, according to the Mail article.

Her family have called for PPD to be banned from home dye kits.

Consultant trichologist Brian Plunkett, who has spent more than a decade researching hair dye allergies, told the Sunday Express: 'This is a tragedy and we have spoken with the family on many occasions over the last very difficult year.

"Allergy to hair dye can happen at any time and skin testing before every colour is essential. Manufacturers must do more to raise awareness and improve protocols of testing."